Sickle Cell Camp
The mission of The Center for Courageous Kids is to uplift children who have life-threatening illnesses by creating experiences year-round that are memorable, exciting, fun, build self-esteem, are physically safe, and medically sound.
The CCK Experience
In an effort to honor the mission statement, the following goals were established to provide specific outcomes for the camp program:
- To establish multiple supportive relationships with adults and peers.
- To enhance self esteem and confidence.
- To promote growth through self discovery and expression.
- To develop a sense of independence and group interaction
- To experience an environment of physical and emotional safety
- To provide the finest medical care that is non-intrusive to camp life, thus providing a “normal” camp experience that would otherwise be unlikely due to medical challenges.
Campers with sickle cell will be attending the Hematology/Juvenile Arthritis session on June 17 – 21.
CCK is special because it is designated exclusively for children with serious and/or life-threatening illnesses. At summer camp, the campers are surrounded by energetic and caring counselors that facilitate creative and fun activities throughout the week. During the week there are qualified medical professionals on-site to offer assistance and provide support when needed. Campers will make long-lasting memories while participating in activities such as: boating and fishing, horseback riding, arts and crafts, cooking, and the campers’ favorite: messy games – a camp wide food fight. Sickle Cell camp is important because it builds self-esteem and increases the overall quality of life for each courageous camper.